Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Flying Paper


One time when I was in the 4th grade I was waiting for my parents to pick me up after school. It was getting late and all the other kids had gotten picked up already. So I decided to make a paper airplane.

I made this cool one with like 10 folds from an instructional book.

I gave it a good heave

And anxiously watched it depart into the air. It was floated nicely up into the sky, much higher and farther than I had ever anticipated.


And then it kept Rising, and rising.... and Rising...


...It must have got into some kind of thermal or something because it just kept rising and flying farther and farther. I chased after it.

I walked underneathe it, staring at it in awe of it glorious loftedness.


It kept floating all the way to the other side of the campus.

...Then Over the other side of the campus. It seemed like hours had past as the plane glided over the tops of the roofs.

Then, as gracefully as it had departed, the plane returned to the ground.

I gingerly picked up my little miracle contraption.

I was filled with an overwhelming sense of jubilation and pride when my parents finally arrived. But I never told them or anyone what had happened; I knew that it would sound like a ridiculous exaggeration. The world record for paper airplane flight is 27.6 seconds, mine had easily gone for over 2 minutes. Until recently I had never told anyone about my experience, I still feel ridiculous trying to convince people that it actually happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment